On the banks of Lake nasser lies Kalabsha temple, an often overlooked jewel of Aswan. Your Egyptologist guide is waiting to take you on a private tour to the temple to help you unlock its secrets.
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Led by a qualified Egyptologist
- All entrance fees included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
Details about this tour
For two years from 1961, Kalabsha Temple was dismantled into 15,000 pieces and moved block by block to its current location on the banks of Lake Nasser. It was just one of 18 temples and monuments moved in order to preserve them from the rising Nile waters created by the construction of Aswan's High Dam. The temple which is dedicated to the Egyptian god Horus and the Nubian god Mandulis, was originally built just after the Ptolemy period, the era after Alexander the Great's death (323BC).
The facade of the temple is undecorated suggesting it was never finish by its original builder, the Roman emperor Octavius Augustus. Despite being unfinished, Kalabsha Temple is considered the most complete, and largest free-standing temple in Nubia. The inner walls feature Egyptian artwork including a carving of St George slaying a dragon and Coptic crosses, showing the influence of Christians who used the temple as a church during the Roman persecution. Another piece of artwork which is a feature of the temple is a carving declaring the prohibition of eating pork which is carved in Meroitic. This language remains a mystery to Egyptologists today, with its origin still unknown.
Your private tour from Aswan includes a qualified Egyptologist guide, entrance fees and transportation from your Aswan hotel.
- Enjoy sailing by a motor boat around the island.
- Visit the great temple of Roman emperors and Ramsis the second.
- Experience a Private and an expert Qualified Egyptologist guide.
- Private transportation by air-conditioned minivans ; pick up from hotel and drop off.
- Bottled mineral water during the tour.
- Soft drinks.
- Entry/Admission - New Kalabsha
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Infants must sit on laps
Transportation is wheelchair accessible
This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate