Join a camel ride to the southern tip of Elephantine Island where you will find St Simeon's Monastery, an ancient, abandoned fortress monastery mostly built during the 7th century and located near Aswan.
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Led by a qualified Egyptologist
- All entrance fees included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
Details about this tour
The monastery was given the name St Simeon by archaeologists and travelers, but earlier Arabic and Coptic sources called it Anba Hatre (Hidra, Hadri, Hadra), after an anchorite who was consecrated a bishop of Syene (now Aswan) by Patriarch Theophilus (385-412 AD).
Anba Hatre married at the age of eighteen. Tradition says that just after the wedding, he encountered a funeral procession which inspired him to preserve his chastity and later become a disciple of Saint Baiman.
After eight years of ascetic practices under the supervision of his teacher, he retired to the desert and applied himself to the study of the life of Saint Antony. He died during the time of Theodosius I.
- Enjoy a Camel ride for one hour long.
- Enjoy sailing by a motor boat around the island.
- Visit the sixth century Monastery.
- Experience a Private and an expert Qualified Egyptologist guide.
- Private transportation by air-conditioned minivans ; pick up from hotel and drop off.
- Bottled mineral water during the tour.
- Soft drinks.
- Entry/Admission - Monastery of St. Simeon
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Infants must sit on laps
Transportation is wheelchair accessible
This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate